The rising concerns of security around the world have sparked a major debate about the proper process of hiring a security guard. Not many companies have a standard hiring process in place, which makes it ambiguous and risky to hire just any security service provider. You may not be completely aware of a security guard’s true intentions or abilities when hiring him or her, but a company’s reputation and client testimonials will supply you with plenty of information regarding how to hire a security guard, and whom to select.
Whether you are looking to hire a security guard for your workplace, or to secure your neighborhood, the focus is on a secure premises, therefore you need to consider all the W’s before you make your choice. Here are the questions you need to ask.
“Who to hire?”
- You need to look for a candidate who has no criminal background. Conducting background checks can be expensive, however, it is better than having a lawsuit filed against you because you did not take caution prior to hiring a security guard.
- You need to consider a candidate who has good interpersonal skills. It is not important for a guard to have an attitude to show professionalism. Security guards represent your company values, therefore you would not want to employ someone who is rude.
- Candidates must also be able to write well. Incidence reports are very important whether they are for a neighborhood watch or a corporate office.
- Candidates should pass the drug screening test. Make sure that you tick this box no matter what your purpose of hiring is.
“Where to hire?”
- A reliable security company can usually provide the best guards and other services.
- A security training school may be a good place to look, as you can hire a well-trained guard as soon as he or she graduates.
- A company website, or social media platform is another medium to let potential candidates know that you are hiring.
“When to hire?”
Remember, there is no best time to hire a security guard. The market for security services is very volatile, and therefore you should have a formal and executable plan, regarding how to hire a security guard, in place at all times.
“How to hire?”
We have already discussed some essential requirements like drug screening, writing tests and background checks, but technological aptitude also plays a major role in hiring the right security guard. Real-time tour tracking, CCTV cameras and equipment, and reporting software are essential add-ons; basic knowledge about these will help a security guard perform his or her job more effectively.
When thinking about how to hire a security guard, we suggest that you plan ahead, as it not only saves you time, but money too. Consider all the above-mentioned factors beforehand and carry out thorough research to be aware of all your options. The most important advice of all: hire a security guard who is physically fit as well as mentally active.