Fire safety is one of the major concerns for any construction business. The presence of flammable material such as gas cylinders, wood and dry material makes the construction area highly prone to fire-related threats.
Every day a fire break out takes place in California. Turn on the TV, and the rising heat causes several fire outbreaks. One of the most common and prime places for a fire outbreak to occur is on a construction site. Therefore, many construction businesses hire firewatch security guards to protect their construction area from such threats.
In this article, we will discuss the most common fire-related issue that causes fire outbreaks in construction areas. But before jumping into the reasons for fire outbreaks, let’s learn how construction places are at higher risk for a fire outbreak.
Why construction businesses are at higher fire-related risks
A fire-related threat can occur anytime and can be due to various reasons. The following are the most common reasons:
- A construction site is a hub of unfinished material, so many raw materials such as oils, wood pieces, and materials are present, which catches fire easily. Moreover, the building possesses a high risk of demolition if a fire breaks out.
- Construction sites contain machinery and equipment which can be the source of explosion or ignition, such as the welding tool.
- Usually, the construction site is open, which can aid in spreading fire. Therefore, handling a fire outbreak in any construction area can be difficult.
- Lastly, handling a fire outbreak can be challenging as the site is not finished and keeps on changing, posing a hurdle for the firefighters.
Common reasons for fire outbreak
- Electrical Malfunction
It is common for a fire outbreak to occur in the construction area due to faults in electrical appliances. If a short circuit happens for any reason, it can lead to a fire outbreak. Moreover, this type of fire outbreak can happen without any knowledge, and if any gas-filled container is near, the results can be devastating.
- Working with high temperature
If your construction site is in a hot area and works at a high temperature, fire outbreaks increase. This can facilitate a quicker and easily spread of fire. The majority of construction sites hire firewatch security guards to watch such adversities.
One of the quite general causes of fire is smoking. People often throw away their lit cigarette, which gets in contact with flammable material, which can cause a fire outbreak. Many construction sites have either banned or determined a particular place to smoke to avoid this problem.
Sometimes, people deliberately try to burn a building. This is mostly done due to personal rivalry or professional problems. This is a felony, and the convict can be strictly punished.
These are the common ways construction sites can catch fire. If you want to secure your construction site from these issues and want to ensure the utmost security in your site, hire a firewatch security guard. These guards are equipped with essential tools and items to take care of any fire outbreak. Moreover, they patrol your site and keep an eye on every activity.